What is on-page SEO?
To increase the visibility of your website and garner the attention of your targeted audience, you need to get both on-page and off-page SEO strategies right. Apart from on-page and off-page SEO, Google algorithm considers technical SEO as well which includes factors like mobile readiness, website speed, etc. In the following paragraphs, you will find a brief overview about on-page optimization supplemented with a quick on page SEO checklist (2019 update)
What is on-page optimization?
If you are still unclear of what is on-page SEO, here is the definition. On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages to rank higher and come on top of search engine result pages. It includes optimization of front-end and back-end components. The on-page optimization strategy can be broadly divided into three major categories – content, site architecture and HTML elements.
Is on-page optimization important?
Yes, on-page optimization is extremely important to improve traffic to your webpage and gain quality leads. It plays a crucial role in determining the site rankings. It is how you increase the quantity and quality of your website traffic through cost-effective techniques. It is the key to making your business land on the top of search engine result pages.
As you are aware, SEO is not a one-time activity. The search algorithms undergo constant change and are becoming more intelligent each day. Good content is not the only factor that determines the success of the website these days. Your website needs up-to-date on-page SEO strategies to dominate search.
A unique factor about on-page optimization is that it is done for both human eyes and search engine bots. The changes you make in your on-page optimization activities are visible to users as well, unlike technical SEO and off-page SEO.
Done correctly, on-page SEO can boost your brand visibility substantially and lead to business growth with little cost.
Success factors for on-page SEO
On-page SEO is all about how you tell Google Crawler or other search engines what your website is all about. Various elements make your on-page optimization effective and beneficial.
To dig deeper into what is on-page optimization, let’s explain a few on-page factors that drive SEO success.
- Title tags– It is shown to your users while they browse through the search engine. It needs to be similar or closer to the keywords that are given to the search engines. It is better to use the keywords at the beginning of the title tag.
- Meta description– It is a summary of the page content and a crucial element of on-page SEO. It is where you can describe the content in around 150 words which work as an advertisement for the webpage.
- Keyword density– It is the number of times a searchable keyword is used on the page. Ideally, it benefits if you put the keyword in the first 100 words of the content in a webpage.
- Length of the content– Length is strength in SEO, as per the search engine trends now. To improve the site rankings, it is important to have lengthy content with the right keyword density.
- Image SEO– Not just content, the images on the web page should also have a description with relevant keywords. It should be optimized with proper title and Alt Text. The size of the image also plays a role in site rankings. It is better to keep the image size below 100kb.
- Internal links– It is another major factor that helps users to navigate easily to other pages. It ensures better user experience and encourages users to stay more on the webpage leading to higher site ranking.
- URL structure – The page should have a search engine friendly URL as well. The keywords should be naturally added in the URL to make it attractive to search engines. It needs to show information about the particular webpage. It needs to be indexable as well.
- Backlinks – Backlinks are useful in keeping your site ranking high. Including info graphics in the content is one way to create quality backlinks.
- Mobile–friendliness– Search engines now prefer websites with a responsive design hence your website needs to be mobile-friendly.
- Social Buttons– It is not directly linked to SERP ranking. However, trends show social sharing buttons helps to improve the visibility of the webpage.
- Content quality – Although search engines cannot directly value the quality of content, it makes use of indirect ways to determine the content quality. It takes into account dwell time, bounce rates, etc. for site rankings. In short, Google tracks how long users spend on your website. Hence you need to ensure better content quality to make the webpage likeable for the search engines.
A quick on-page SEO checklist
No matter if your website has great content and links. Technical issues can harm a website and adversely influence its rankings and visibility. The search engines see a web page as mere texts and not with the graphics, colors, images, etc. as you see it. Thus, anything that is not rendered in the text format is unidentified by the website. Hence, on-site optimization or technical set-up is extremely important for higher SEO rankings.
The six important on-site optimization factors that should be included in your SEO checklists are:
- Website navigation and links– The navigation and links should be in text format only.
- Short URL – Search engines prefer short URLs to lengthy ones.
- Page loading time – The page speed is a make-or-break factor in SEO.
- Dead or broken links– A dead link or broken redirects prevent search engines from indexing the content.
- Site map – Search engines use site maps to identify the pages in your website.
- Duplicate content – It is off-putting for search engines as it can’t determine which content should be displayed.
Also, you can check out our blog post on WordPress SEO plugins that help to tackle the aforementioned issues.
Let’s discuss more!
To create an effective on-page and off-page SEO strategy, you need to consider a myriad of factors. Being experts in SEO, we can help you come up with the best ways to improve your website traffic organically and ensure higher conversion rates.
If you are contemplating strategies to increase website traffic, get in touch with us now!